What’s better than tacos? Taco salad, in a jar. Prepped in less than an hour, then ready to eat in minutes.
- Chili lentils (recipe below)
- Vegan ground simulated "beef"
- 4 tomatoes
- 2 avocados
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 cup corn nibblets
- 1 head lettuce
- Lime cilantro dressing (recipe below)
- Chopped cilantro
- Tortilla chips (optional: gluten-free)
- 5 Mason Jars
- Chili lentils:
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup veggie stock (plus additional if lentils get too dry)
- Lime cilantro dressing:
- 1 avocado
- Handful fresh cilantro (stems too!)
- Juice of 2 fresh limes
- Zest of 1 lime
- 1. In heavy bottomed pan, heat coconut oil on medium heat.
- 2. Add onion and cook until translucent.
- 3. Add garlic and cook another minute.
- 4. Add spices and salt.
- 5. Add lentils (rinsed and drained), diced tomatoes, bay leaf and veggie stock. Stir and bring to a boil.
- 6. Lower heat and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. If mixture gets too dry, add a bit more veggie stock.
- 7. Once lentils are done, take out bay leaf and let cool before adding to jars.
Lime Cilantro Dressing :
- 1. In blender, add avocado, cilantro, lime juice, zest and ½ cup water.
- 2. Blend and add more water to reach desired consistency.
- 3. Set aside
- 4. As the lentils are still simmering, chop tomatoes, lettuce and avocado into bite-sized pieces. Squeeze lemon juice onto avocado and toss to ensure it doesn’t turn brown.
Stack your jars in the following order:
- 1. Dressing
- 2. Vegan ground simulated “beef”
- 3. Chopped tomatoes
- 4. Chili lentils
- 5. Chopped avocado
- 6. Chopped lettuce
- 7. Cilantro
- 8. Crumbled tortilla chips
Store in fridge up to 5 days. To eat, dump jar upside down into salad bowl and enjoy.