I get it, mornings are busy. And amidst making sure you’re ready for work and your kids are organized, fed and out the door on time, breakfast for you often takes a backseat (or no seat at all). While I love a quick smoothie, sometimes a warm bowl of oats is more appealing for these cold dark days.
With very minimal prep you can pre-make oatmeal, divide it into containers with toppings that satisfy both you and your family, and have a nutrient-rich, delicious breakfast that takes less than 5 minutes to make and can be eaten at home or while running out the door.
- 2 cups rolled oats (or steel cut oats*)
- 2 cups liquid (you can use all water, though a combination with non-dairy milk yields more creamy consistency)
- ½ tsp salt
- Chocolate Lovers:
- 1 Tbsp Chocolate Vega® Essentials
- ½ sliced banana
- 1 Tbsp peanut butter
- Fruit & Nuts:
- 1 Tbsp dried cherries + 2 Tbsp chopped roasted, salted almonds
- 1 Tbsp dried apricot or golden raisin + 2 Tbsp chopped raw walnuts
- ½ sliced banana + 2 Tbsp chopped pecans
- ½ apple, chopped + 2 Tbsp walnuts and pumpkin seeds
Cook oats on stove on medium low heat until most liquid is dissolved and oats are soft.
Remove from heat while a bit of liquid still remains (the oats will continue to soak the liquid as they cool)
Divide oats into 4 containers and let cool with lids off
Once cool, add mix ins then (or wait and do it before you eat), top oatmeal and store in refrigerator
When ready to eat top oats with a splash of water or milk, stir and reheat in microwave. Add any additional toppings.
- Chocolate Lovers: After reheating, stir into oatmeal 1 tablespoon Vega Essentials Chocolate or Vega One Chocolate (for a protein boost), and top with ½ sliced banana and 1 tablespoon peanut butter.
- Fruit and Nut: Stir into oatmeal either while preparing or right before eating 1 tablespoon dried fruit and 2 tablespoons chopped nuts.
- Leftover oats will last in refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- To save time, cook your oats in a slow cooker or rice cooker overnight, which lets you wake up to piping hot oatmeal in the morning. To do this make sure you use steel cut oats, and add 4 cups liquid for 1 cup of oats. Cook on low for 8 hours and in the morning spoon out and top with your choice of toppings .