By Sandi Irving, Nimmo Bay Chef
In the midst of many incredible meals at the Outpost this year, these protein pancakes stood out as a clear favorite. Requested every morning, these plant-based powerhouses were a nourishing and warming way to start our days.
Developed by Sandi Irving, the chef at Nimmo Bar, these are hands down the best protein pancakes we’ve tasted yet. A West Coast girl through and through – Sandi grew up in Northern BC, but has made Victoria her true home. Her passion for food started at an early age, and Sandi decided to complete her culinary art apprenticeship at Camille’s Fine West Coast Dinning in Victoria. She continued to work in some of Victoria’s finest restaurants such as Sooke Harbour House before working with Nimmo Bay for 7 amazing years. Sandi loves the wilderness, the adventure and the fresh local cuisine Nimmo Bay offers and is always cooking up delicious gourmet meals in the kitchen. Dig in!
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 cup gluten-free flour
- 1 1/2 cup non-dairy beverage
- 1/2 cup vanilla flavor of any Vega® plant-based protein powder
- such as Vega Sport Performance Protein (29.2oz) Vanilla
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 Tbsp flaxseed meal
- 2 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Maple syrup to taste
- Caramelized Bananas (recipe to right)
Measure out dry ingredients and wet ingredient separately then mix together, careful to not overmix. Ladle into fry pan on low heat and cook.
Make Caramelized Bananas
1/2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cups white sugar
2 Tbsp water
1/2 cups coconut milk
Sliced ripe bananas
1. Combine sugars and waters in saucepan and heat until sugars start to caramelize. Add coconut milk and simmer until sugar is dissolved.
2. Toss sliced bananas in caramel in a saucepan or fry pan and serve warm with pancakes.