Need a quick weeknight meal? Turn to cauliflower fried rice. You’ll be using a blazing hot wok or pan for this recipe so make your life easier and have all ingredients chopped, placed in small bowls and ready to be thrown in. Chefs call it mise en place which means “putting in place”, as in set up. It’s a great habit to adopt for most recipes. This dish is also best cooked in small batches. You don’t want to crowd the wok or pan as you want everything to cook quickly. Any extra cauliflower rice can be frozen in re-sealable bags.
- ½ head organic cauliflower
- ½ onion, diced
- 3 carrots, diced
- ½ cup peas, fresh or frozen
- ½ cup corn, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- ¼ cup green onions, diced
- ¼ cup raw cashews, almonds or other nuts
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 1-2 tsp fresh ginger
- ¼ cup oil
- A few splashes sesame oil
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- Optional: ½ cup marinated tofu
Cut stem off cauliflower and cut into smaller florets.
Add to food processor and pulse until rice-like. Set aside.
Heat wok or pan to high and add oil.
Add in the following order and stir frequently with a metal spatula:
1. Onions (cook until translucent)
2. Mushrooms (cook until browning)
3. Carrot (1-2 minutes)
4. Cauliflower (1-2 minutes)
5. Peas and corn (1 minute)
6. Nuts, garlic, ginger (1 minute)
7. Green onions
Finish with sesame oil and soy sauce.
Pour onto platter and serve immediately.