We developed these quinoa stuffed peppers while looking for a healthier stuffed pepper than the rice filled ones that we were used to. We used the flavors of the Mediterranean to make these, but you could include Mexican ingredients if you are looking for something spicy! These are a great appetizer to share with friends, but with all the nutrient density of quinoa, these make a great main course too!
- 1 cup quinoa, soaked and drained
- 1 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and halved
- 1/2 cup red onions, chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, chopped in three
- 1 cup cucumber, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 3 Tbsp lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 3 Tbsp Vega® Antioxidant Omega Oil Blend
- 4 whole peppers (red, yellow, or green)
- Cilantro to taste and garnish
- Optional topping: vegan cheese
Preheat oven to 350°F. Boil 2 cups water and add quinoa. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Set aside.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cut peppers in halves. Remove pepper stems, seeds and veins. Add peppers to water, boil for 3-5 minutes and drain.
Fill peppers with quinoa salad and bake for 20 minutes or until tops are lightly browned. Serve immediately.