This vegan smoothie is a non-dairy homage to the classic ice cream flavor: maple walnut.
Roasting the walnuts is optional, but truly takes this smoothie over the top and adds authenticity (maple walnut ice cream is traditionally made with roasted walnuts, so we highly recommend it). If you prefer to use raw walnuts, I suggest soaking them overnight and giving them a good rinse before popping them into the blender. You can toast the walnuts ahead of time (and in larger batches if desired), let them cool and keep them in an airtight container for a speedier morning smoothie session.
- 1½ cups Silk® Original Unsweetened Almondmilk
- 1/3 cup walnuts, lightly roasted (save 1 Tbsp for garnish if desired!)
- 1 frozen banana (or 1 fresh banana and 1 cup ice cubes)
- 1 handful ice cubes
- 1 to 2 Tbsp maple syrup (depending on ripeness of banana)
- 1 French Vanilla Vega® Essentials
- or 1 serving French Vanilla Vega One® All-in-One Shake Extra Large - French Vanilla - Extra Large
- or 1 serving French Vanilla Vega® Protein & Greens
Preheat your oven to 350° F and spread the walnuts out onto a small sheet pan. Roast walnuts for 10 to 12 minutes, until just fragrant. No need to wait for them to brown. Once you can smell them, remove from the oven and let them cool slightly.
Once walnuts are cooled, place all ingredients in a blender (start with one tablespoon of maple syrup) and blend until smooth.
Taste and add the second tablespoon of maple syrup if desired. With a very ripe banana, I found one tablespoon of syrup made the smoothie perfectly sweet. More might be required if you use a less ripe banana.
Pour smoothie into a tall glass and enjoy! If you really feel like treating yourself, roughly chop the one tablespoon of reserved walnuts and sprinkle on top with a pinch of cinnamon.