Whether you cover this cauliflower in panko, gluten-free bread crumbs or cereal, you can recreate the taste of baked popcorn chicken at home, easily. The secret to this texture is adding in carbonated soda water. Cauliflower popcorn chicken awaits!
- 3 cups panko, or gluten-free bread crumbs or ground flaked corn cereal
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 to 1 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- Salt, to taste
- 1 cup carbonated water (seltzer or soda water, depending on where you live)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (or gluten-free all-purpose flour)
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- Spray oil, to preference
Preheat oven to 450°F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
Combine panko (or alternative) and seasonings in a bowl.
Combine carbonated water and flour. Toss cauliflower in batter, removing any excess batter.
Toss coated cauliflower in seasoned bread crumbs.
Arrange cauliflower on sheet pan. Spray cauliflower lightly with oil.
Bake 9 to 12 minutes or until browned and crisp.
Serve with dipping sauce such as ketchup.