Grab the freshest asparagus, leeks, fennel, radishes and pea shoots you can find and make a decadent savory tart. You can whip this spring tart up in a flash by using a sheet of puff pastry. But if you’d rather make it all for scratch, or ensure it is gluten-free, you can make your own gluten-free crust using the recipe below.
- Gluten-Free Crust
- 3 cups almond flour
- ¼ cup + 2 Tbsp non-dairy butter
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1½ Tbsp water
- 1 sheet puff pastry or 1 made gluten-free crust (recipe above)
- ¼ - ½ cup non-dairy cream cheese or cashew cheese
- 10-25 asparagus, trimmed
- 1 small leek, white part only thinly sliced
- ½ fennel bulb cored and thinly sliced
- ½ cup radishes, thinly sliced
- 1-2 cups pea shoots or arugula
- Salt and fresh pepper
- Preheat oven to 325F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper and grease paper and any part of pan not covered.
- Combine almond flour, non-dairy butter, baking soda and salt in food processor, mix until combined. Add water 1 teaspoon at a time until a dough ball forms.
- Press dough into pan and up sides of pan, reinforcing the corners.
- Cover dough with foil and weight the dough down with a layer of dried beans. This helps the dough keep its shape as it parbakes.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- If using puff pastry, roll sheet out onto floured surface and transfer to parchment lined sheet pan. Use a paring knife to score a border ¼ inch from the outside edges. Stab pastry a few times to allow air to escape when baking. If not using puff pastry, grab your gluten-free crust from the oven.
- Spread non-dairy cream cheese or cashew cheese on pastry or gluten-free crust. (Cream cheese too stiff to spread? Thin it with hot water, 1 teaspoon at a time until it is spreadable).
- Arrange spring vegetables on top (not including radishes or fresh greens) and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Top with fresh greens, radishes, fresh ground pepper and olive oil.