Wow your friends this 4th of July with a beautiful berry cobbler that’s made without gluten, soy or dairy. Even better, you’ll get a bit of protein thanks to Vega Sport® Protein.
- Fruit Base:
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp arrowroot powder or non-GMO cornstarch
- 7 cups fresh or frozen mixed berries such as blueberries, strawberries, and blackberries
- Biscuit Topping:
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats, ground into flour (or 1 cup gluten-free flour blend)
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, 2 Tbsp reserved
- 1 serving Vanilla Vega Sport® Performance Protein
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup non-dairy butter, chilled and cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk, 2 Tbsp reserved
- Whipped Cream:
- 1 can full-fat unsweetened coconut milk, chilled
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 400F.
Whisk sugar and arrowroot in a large bowl. Add berries and toss to coat.
Transfer berries into a 2-quart baking dish approximately 2 inches deep.
Set aside to macerate while preparing dough.
In a small bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Using a fork or pastry cutter, cut the margarine into the dry ingredients until it resembles a crumbly oatmeal-like texture. Add the non-dairy milk and stir until the mixture comes together.
Spoon batter on top of fruit in large dollops with ½ inch apart from fruit.
Brush top of fruit with milk or butter and sprinkle with sugar.
Bake at 400F for 25 to 30 minutes, or until top is browned and fruit is bubbling.
While cobbler bakes, prepare your whipped cream. Open can of chilled coconut milk and drain the separated liquid into a container (store in refrigerator or freeze for smoothies).
Scoop cream out of can and into medium size bowl. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and 1 teaspoon maple syrup. Whip until fluffy.
Let cobbler cool, top with scoop of coconut milk ice cream (optional but highly recommended) and whipped cream.