With layer after decadent layer of fruit, custard, cake, and coconut whipped cream, everyone will be scooping up servings until the bowl is clean. If you don’t have a glass trifle bowl, spread it out in one layer in a glass baking dish to show off all the delicious ingredients.
- 1 cup plant-based beverage
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (or gluten-free all-purpose flour)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil or melted coconut oil
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pkg (300g/11oz.) organic soft tofu
- 1/2 cup plant-based beverage
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 2 to 3 oz. sweet sherry or orange liquor
- 4 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
- Coconut whipped cream for topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 11 by 7 inch cake pan.
- Combine almond milk and apple cider vinegar. Set aside for five minutes.
- Combine dry ingredients.
- Cream olive oil and sugar and add vanilla.
- Add 1/3 of the dry ingredients to olive oil mixture and beat. Add half the almond milk and beat. Repeat until all ingredients are combined. Beat until no lumps remain. Pour into cake pan.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool.
- Combine all custard ingredients in blender. Blend until very smooth and transfer to a saucepan.
- Heat custard over medium heat stirring with a whisk. Allow to thicken until custard coats a spoon and has the starchy taste cooked out. Remove from heat and cool in fridge.
- Brush cooled cake with sherry or orange liquor. Cut into one inch squares.
- Place half of the cake cubes trifle bowl. Arrange 1/3 of the strawberries around sides of bowl and on top of cake. Top with half of the custard. Repeat layers once. Top with coconut whipped cream and remaining berries.
Refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.