For the final recipe of our comfort soup series, we are sharing Morgan’s hearty vegan Green Soup. There is so much veggie goodness in this soup, we aren’t sure where she fits it all! Plant-based powerhouses kale, spinach, swiss chard, broccoli and asparagus give this soup its signature colour. Coconut milk ads a delicious creaminess. Kermit may not think it’s ‘easy being green’ but we sure do. Enjoy!
- 1 tsp oil (we use coconut oil)
- 1 onion, diced
- ½ head garlic, minced - less if wanted
- 1.5 inch ginger, minced
- 2L (8 cups) vegetable stock
- 1 cup cauliflower, chopped
- 1 cup broccoli, chopped
- ½ bunch swiss chard, chopped, stems and leafs separated
- 1/2 bunch kale, chopped
- 4 cups spinach (not packed)
- 1 (14oz) can coconut milk
- 1/2 bunch asparagus, cut thinly on an angle
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 bunch green onions, cut thinly on an angle
- Chili flakes, to garnish
- Pepper, freshly cracked, to garnish
Heat oil in a large pot. Sauté onion until translucent, about 5-6 minutes. Add garlic and ginger, sauté for 2-3 minutes.
Add in vegetable broth, cauliflower and broccoli. Bring to a boil. Simmer soup for 10 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
Add in swiss chard, kale and spinach. Let greens wilt in soup for 2-4 minutes. Add in coconut milk.
In high powered blender, blend soup until completely smooth. If soup is too thick, add more broth or water to thin it out.
Add asparagus into soup and continue to cook until asparagus is cooked, about 3-5 minutes.
Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
Garnish with green onion, chili flakes and freshly cracked pepper.
Add sliced asparagus into soup and cook 3-5 minutes until asparagus is cooked. Serve with green onions, chili flakes and fresh cracked pepper.