While BBQs typically include animal-based proteins, we love to bring plant-based options to the party! So, if you’re interested in featuring some plant-based options at your next BBQ too, check out our top three plant-based grilling ideas.
Pack Your Grill with Plants
Move over meat! Mushrooms, zucchini, sweet potatoes, peppers, squash, onions, asparagus, red or green lettuces are all perfect for the grill. Whether you skewer them for kabobs or loosely toss them onto the flame-kissed grates, these vegetables can be an awesome entrée or side dish.
Don’t Forget the Marinade
Marinades are amazing, easy ways to add tons of robust flavor to your favorite grilled veggies. Sure, you can purchase pre-made marinades at your local market, but why bother when you can make your own.
To make your own delicious marinade, choose a simple combination of these three components (ratio of fat-to-acid is generally 3-to-1 and season to taste).
- 1. Fat (olive oil, peanut oil, safflower seed oil)
- 2. Acid (vinegar, lemon, lime, pineapple)
- 3. Seasonings (salt, pepper, turmeric, garlic, oregano)
Prevent Veggie Burgers from Crumbling
Primarily make veggie burgers with hearty proteins, like beans. Beets, tofu and tempeh are all excellent plant-based burger options can crumble a little more easily.
- 1. Make sure patties are formed and cold (if not frozen)
- 2. Preheat that grill and don’t add your patties until it’s hot
- 3. Right before placing on the grill, brush will oil on both sides
- 4. Let them sear before flipping
We can’t wait for you to add these to your grill this summer!