Everyone has their favorite flavor of Vega One®, Vega® Essentials, Vega® Protein & Greens or Vega Sport® Premium Protein. Whether you’ve just opened a new tub of plant protein powders, or you’re feeling like you’re in a smoothie or protein shake rut, use our favorite smoothie flavor pairings to take your blender to the next level. As you’re building your best protein shakes with these flavor pairings, don’t forget to blend them into the Base Smoothie equation below.
Easy Protein Shakes
Looking for easy ways to make your smoothie on the go? Try adding a scoop of your favorite protein powder, a banana, and any other fruits or veggies you like into a Blendjet® portable blender for your favorite smoothie or shake blended fresh on the go. You can easily prepare your favorite ingredients (cut small) ahead of time so you can blend a fresh shake wherever you are.
- 1 ½ cups liquid (water, juice, non-dairy milk)
- 1 cup ice or frozen fruits
- 1 serving plant protein powder (Vega One®, Vega® Protein & Greens, Vega® Protein Made Simple™ or Vega Sport® Premium Protein)
- 1-2 handfuls greens (kale, chard, spinach)
- 1-2 Tbsp good fats (avocado, nut butter)
- 1 tsp spices (cayenne, cinnamon, nutmeg)
- ½ cup chopped vegetables or fruit (cucumber, celery, apple)
- 1-inch ginger or turmeric root
Blend until smooth. Serve cold.
Take this base smoothie and blend it with the flavor suggestions below for the best tasting smoothie recipe.
Vanilla Protein Shake
Vega® Protein & Greens Vanilla has a creamy vanilla ice cream taste. This decadent flavor pairs best with all your favorite sundae toppings: chocolate, cherries and banana.
- Pair With: Berries, Banana, Cardamom, Cherries, Chocolate, Oats. Try a Frozen Banana Smoothie Recipe (frozen banana, non-dairy milk and Vega Essentials) and top it with chocolate sauce and sprinkles. Or make a protein shake with just Vega Essentials, non-dairy milk, ice, and cacao nibs.
Vega One® is more decadent than your average vanilla.
- Pair With: Avocado, Coffee, Ginger, Lemon, Fruits, Nuts, Oats Try a French Vanilla Blended Coffee by blending French Vanilla Vega One with coffee, ice and non-dairy milk. Don’t have time for a blender? Make a protein shake in a shaker cup with cold-brew, ice, non-dairy milk and Vega One French Vanilla.
Vega Sport® Premium Protein Vanilla pairs great with the usual suspects for smoothie ingredients like greens, banana and strawberries.
- Pair With: Apricots, Avocado. Beets, Berries, Cardamom, Cloves, Coffee, Ginger, Lemon, Maple, Most Fruits, Nuts, Oats, Tea, and Yogurt Try an Apricot Cardamom (non-dairy) Yogurt Smoothie.
Vega One® All-in-One Vanilla Chai brings spicy hints of cardamom, cinnamon, cloves and ginger balanced with the sweetness of vanilla. On a chilly morning, mix with warm almond milk for a twist on a chai latte.
- Pair With: Almonds, Banana, Cashews, Coffee, Sweet Potato, Peaches, Pumpkin. Try making a dirty chai smoothie recipe, with coffee, almond milk, ice and vanilla chai Vega One.
Chocolate Protein Shake
Vega® Essentials Chocolate brings a rich cocoa flavor into your shake. Blend with ice and almond milk for a healthy but still luxurious chocolate milkshake alternative.
- Pair With: Banana, Cashews, Cayenne, Coffee, Hazelnuts, Nutmeg, Raspberries Try a Mexican Chocolate Smoothie with cayenne, nutmeg and raspberries. Or try a chocolate protein shake with Vega Essentials Chocolate simply shaken with non-dairy milk and ice.
Vega® Protein & Greens and Vega Sport® Premium Protein Chocolate bring a perfect balance of dark chocolate with a hint of sweet vanilla. This pairs great with peanut butter to make the classic PB and chocolate combination.
- Pair With: Avocado, Banana, Chai, Coffee, Cayenne, Cinnamon, Maca, Nut Butters, Nuts, Orange, Vanilla Try a Chocolate Coffee Smoothie with avocado and a pinch of cayenne.
Vega Sport® Mocha is just as satisfying as your morning latte, but with more nutrients and protein to start your day off right.
- Pair With: Banana, Chocolate, Cinnamon, Mango, or Orange. Try a Banana Mocha Latte Smoothie with ice and almond milk. A mocha protein shake made with Vega Sport®, plus ice and non-dairy milk can help you start your day strong.
Tropical Fruit Shake
Vega® Protein & Greens Tropical makes you feel like you are on vacation in the tropics. Just add a tiny umbrella and be whisked away to a sandy beach with a Piña Colada. Pairs great with frozen tropical fruits and is a great flavor to hide extra greens and vegetables.
- Pair With: Basil, Carrot, Jalapeno, Lime, Mango, Pineapple, Yogurt Try a Jalapeno Lime Mango Smoothie. Shake a protein shake with Vega Protein & Greens tropical, ice, lime juice, and water.
Vega One®, Vega® Protein & Greens or Vega Sport® Premium Protein Berry are all packed full of berry flavor and pair perfectly with orange juice or oranges to enhance the berry flavor.
- Pair With: Almonds, Beets, Berries, Dark Chocolate, Hemp Seeds, Nuts, Orange, Poppy Seeds Try a Chocolate Berry Smoothie by adding rich dark chocolate and ice. Make a protein shake with berry flavored Vega protein powder, a tablespoon of hemp seeds, ice, and orange juice.
Vega One® or Vega® Protein & Greens Natural have a very neutral with a slight hint of earthy greens, and subtle vanilla. Some say it reminds them of oatmeal. It pairs best with crisp refreshing flavors.
- Pairs With: Cucumber, Fennel, Lemon, Green Apple, Greens, Ginger Try a Cucumber Lemon Smoothie. You can also mix natural flavored Vega® protein powder in a protein shake with lemon.
What is your favorite way to build your best protein shake?