It has arrived, one of the best times of the year. Bust out the charcoal, marinades, and long handled tongs—it’s cookout season. And what better way to celebrate cookout season than with a big, juicy, delicious plant-based burger?
Start with Your Choice of Burger
Most grocery stores carry veggie burgers but we recommend making your own.
If you want that meaty taste but don’t want to prepare a burger, just pick up some large portobello mushrooms. Marinade overnight and grill like you normally would and enjoy!
If you’re looking for something with a more steak-like texture try these Chickpea Cutlets.
Upgrade Your Flavors
Once you’ve selected your base it’s time to have fun with flavors. These are our top 10 favorites.
- 1. Classic: sautéed mushrooms and onions with non-dairy cheese. For some extra savory goodness, sauté the mushrooms and onions in coconut oil with sage and tarragon.
- 2. FLT:facon (vegan bacon), lettuce and tomato. Try coconut or tempeh “bacon” as they tend to have the most realistic taste and texture.
- 3. Spouts and So Much More:sprouts, avocado and porcini peppers. Avocados have a smooth texture and are also great for mashing up with some lemon juice for an easy DIY salad dressing.
- 4. Italian:marinara sauce, non-dairy cheese, vegan peperoni or sausage. For an extra kick, choose spicy vegan pepperoni or sausage.
- 5. Fiesta:Salsa, guacamole, jalapenos, black beans, and corn. Add a fruity twist with homemade peach salsa.
- 6. Awesome Asparagus: pesto, grilled asparagus and grilled or roasted sweet potatoes. For extra flavor, marinate the asparagus overnight in your favorite sauce.
- 7. Mediterranean:Hummus, roasted red pepper, fresh basil. You can buy pre-made hummus or try making your own.
- 8. Hawaiian:teriyaki sauce, pineapple slices, green pepper, wasabi paste. Teriyaki sauce and pineapple are a tangy duo that will add some panache to your patty.
- 9. Curry:chutney, grilled cauliflower, cilantro. The combination of smoky grilled cauliflower and the sweetness of chutney will keep your taste buds guessing.
- 10. Ranch Burger: vegan ranch-style dressing, carrot shreds, and grilled onions. Because ranch makes everything better.
Don’t let your burger be lonesome on your plate. Why not make a batch of Vegan Potato Salad to go alongside?