Vega is a premium, award-winning brand at the forefront of the plant-based, whole food revolution. We are committed to bringing sustainable plant-based nutrition to the world and we’re proud to be part of the B Corp™ movement; a commitment to meeting rigorous standards of social and environmental performance, accountability, and transparency. Vega has been named one of the Best Workplaces in Canada and has been recognized as one of the Best Workplaces for Women. We honor a triple bottom line approach to business placing emphasis on people, planet and performance. Join a great team atmosphere with a driven, vivacious group of people.
An exciting and challenging position exists as a Quality Product Testing Specialist at Vega. Reporting to the Food Safety Manager, the Quality Product Testing Specialist will be responsible for performing all Research & Development and Quality & Food Safety tests to ensure Vega’s products meet all safety, labelling and regulatory guidelines. In this role, you will work with the new product innovation team to help create Nutritional Facts Tables, surveillance and stability testing against label claims, and any certification testing that is needed. You will also compile, analyze, and review all testing results for product releases with the Quality and Food Safety team. For this role, we are looking for proactive self-starter who has a strong attention to detail, with the ability to handle multiple priorities at one time.
This position is located at Vega’s HQ in Burnaby, BC. During the exceptional circumstances due to COVID-19, we are currently working virtually while our office remains open for access.
- Develop protocol and implement pre-production stability testing to assess commercial viability of the product and establish product shelf life. Ensure proper data recording, facilitate data analysis, and make the necessary recommendations
- Facilitate testing for nutritional and front of pack claims validation. Develop nutritional facts panel for labelling that are in accordance with pertinent regulations
- Review pre-production testing (stability and nutritional’s) and make recommendations for the real time stability product testing and additional monitoring testing as part of Finished product specification build up
- Work with supplier to ensure accurate and current nutritional profiles for critical ingredients
- Facilitate real time stability testing of products after product launch
- Facilitate and coordinate surveillance testing of finished products to ensure compliance to regulation and certification testing
- Review testing Certificate of Analysis and facilitate product releases
- Serve as technical resource in the investigation of testing out of specification results and conduct technical research to propose preventive/corrective action
- Maintenance of various tools such as but not limited to Genesis, PDCAAS Calculator, testing database, and stability testing database
- New lab accreditation and new method validation
- Support supply and change management in terms of evaluating ingredients in terms of impact to label claim and nutritional
Skills and Qualifications
- Minimum B.Sc. degree in biology, chemistry, biochemistry, and/or food science
- Sc. degree in biology, chemistry, biochemistry, and/or food science an asset
- 2 to 5 years of experience in a Product Testing/QA role, preferably in the sport nutrition or the natural health product/dietary supplement industry –with a focus on research and innovation, regulatory, and/or quality control/analytical testing
- Experience with both stability and nutritional testing is required
- Experience with Genesis, PDCAAS Calculator, testing database, and stability testing database
- Familiar with the Canadian Food & Drug Acts and Regulation and FDA regulations for Food and Dietary Supplements (DSHEA)
- Strong communicator with the ability to build relationships with co-manufactures and suppliers
- Ability to lead and collaborate with cross-functional teams
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Proactive self-starter who thrives in a fast-paced dynamic environment
- Extremely focused on details; has an eagle eye
- Problem solver, with a specific focus on product improvements
- Proficient in Microsoft Outlook, Word, Access, and Excel
VEGA “Must Haves”
- You have an unrelenting desire to achieve
- The outdoors isn’t just the place between your car and house
- You have a sense of humor and passion for health and wellness
- You love to have fun, but take your responsibilities seriously
- You live the Vega brand
Benefits of Working for Vega
- Competitive compensation plan
- Annual performance bonus
- Vega product to try so that you can perform at your best and promote the Vegatopian lifestyle
- Extended Health Plan
- Employee assistance program (EAP)
- Summer hours (June to September)
- Group RRSP Matching program
- Flexible, unlimited time off
- Referral bonus program incentive
- Fitness Subsidy
- Education fund
- Paid volunteer days
- Virtual daily fitness classes
- Access to Vega’s Online Learning Library
- Dogs in the office (virtually on video calls) – Woof!
- On-site kitchen with in-house Vegan Chef offering plant-based food and snacks*
- Green Transit incentives*
- Alternative refreshment options that go beyond coffee*
Let Your Journey Begin!
If you smiled and are motivated by this posting, we want to hear from you. Submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Quality Product Testing Specialist” on the subject line and let us know why you’d like to be Vega’s next Product Developer. Let your journey begin!
Vega is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We offer reasonable accommodations to candidates with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. We thank all candidates for their time and interest in working at Vega, however, only candidates under consideration for opportunities with Vega will be contacted to participate further in this process. If you are contacted and you require any accommodation in the recruitment process due to a disability, please indicate this and we will work with you to meet your reasonable accessibility needs.