Vega is a high-growth, natural health food and supplement company on Profit Magazine’s Profit 100 list of fastest growing companies the last five years with a passion for people. Our premium, award-winning brand is at the forefront of the plant-based, whole food revolution. Vega has been named one of the Best Workplaces in Canada for six consecutive years and was recently awarded the #1 Best Workplace in Canada 2017. Vega has also been recognized as the #1 Best Workplace for Women in Canada for the third year in a row. We honor a triple bottom line approach to business placing emphasis on people, planet, and performance. Join a great team atmosphere with a driven, vivacious group of people.
Reporting to the R&I Director, you will lead the Applied R&I team at Vega to support the viability of all of our products innovation and renovation projects. You will directly contribute to the technical viability and competitiveness of our products by leading product improvements and cost-saving initiatives.
You take Research and Innovation seriously while having fun at work with the Vega team! You value integrity, you are an effective communicator, you take ownership, show initiative and leadership in everything you do and are performance driven. You not only love the culture but contribute to it.
- At Vega the Applied R&I team is responsible for the following:
- Reformulation of current products to support cost-saving initiatives, supply interruptions, and QA initiatives
- Sensory evaluation program
- Specification development: testing specs, density, particle size, pH, etc.
- Testing method validation
- Stability program development
- Shipping conditions validation
- Packaging validation
- Ingredient qualification
- Formula management system
- Certifications: Non-GMO Project Verification, Vegan Action, USDA Organic, NSF Sport, and Informed Choice
- The Applied R&I Manager will lead and support the Applied R&I team by:
- Holding weekly One on One with the Applied R&I team members
- Ensuring that the Applied R&I team is aligned on deliverables and timelines to support product development projects and product improvement projects
- Participating and contributing to the R&I strategic plan
- The Applied R&I Manager will directly lead product improvement and cost-saving initiatives on beverage, supplement, and nutritional bar products through formula optimization, ingredient sourcing, commercialization, and testing validation.
- The Applied R&I Manager will support the procurement team in resolving supply constraints through sourcing efforts and reformulation.
- The Applied R&I Manager will collaborate with various internal departments including; Procurement, Production, Marketing, QA, and Regulatory to ensure the commercial viability of new and/or improved products.
Skills and Qualifications
- Minimum B.Sc. degree in biology, chemistry, biochemistry, and/or food science
- Sc. degree in biology, chemistry, biochemistry, and/or food science an asset
- 5-10 years of experience in a relevant role in the food industry or the natural health product/dietary supplement industry
- Hands-on experience in the formulation and commercialization of food products or natural health products/dietary supplements
- Familiar with the Canadian Food & Drug Acts and Regulation and FDA regulations for Food and Dietary Supplements (DSHEA)
- Proficient in Microsoft Outlook, Word, and Excel
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills
- Ability to work with and lead cross-functional teams
- Available to travel to the US
- You have an unrelenting desire to achieve
- The outdoors isn’t just the place between your car and house
- You have a sense of humor and passion for health and wellness
- You love to have fun, but take your responsibilities seriously
- You live the Vega brand
Benefits of Working for VEGA
- Competitive compensation plan
- Open Book Management
- Annual Bonuses
- Alternative refreshment options that go beyond coffee
- On-site kitchen with in-house Vegan Chef offering plant-based food and snacks
- An optional plant-based lunch program
- In-house gym and meditation room
- Monthly product to try so that you can perform at your best and promote the Vegatopian lifestyle
- MSP – 100% coverage
- Employee assistance program (EAP)
- Flexible Extended Health/Dental Plan
- Green Transit incentives
- Fitness Subsidy
- Employer matching RRSP Program
- Education Fund
Let your journey begin!
If you smiled and are motivated by this posting, we want to hear from you. Send us your application at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Applied R&I Manager” on the subject line and let your journey begin!
Vega is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We offer reasonable accommodations to candidates with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. We thank all candidates for their time and interest in working at Vega, however, only candidates under consideration for opportunities with Vega will be contacted to participate further in this process. If you are contacted and you require any accommodation in the recruitment process due to a disability, please indicate this and we will work with you to meet your reasonable accessibility needs.